Welcome to our eighth edition of the Hot Button. This month, we want to briefly share a great cause in our home of Newark, NJ, as well as highlight a few simple safety tips to keep you and your loved ones safer through the holiday season.
And as this is a holiday season update, we’ve shared a couple of beverage recipes for you to celebrate the season.
May you and your loved ones have a safe, restful, and thankful holiday season with love and hope for a positive new year.
-from all of us at POM
Our Featured Cause: Greater Newark Holiday Fund
The Greater Newark Holiday Fund began in 1937 when America was still in the throes of the Great Depression. It was a time of unprecedented poverty and joblessness that affected millions of people’s lives.
Moved by the hardships they saw around them, a group of businessmen was inspired to provide Christmas presents to children on the streets of Newark. It was the beginning of a lasting tradition.
In 2002, the organization changed its name to the Greater Newark Holiday Fund, reflecting the cross-denominational nature of its mission. The holiday fundraises funding for 11 social service agencies during their highest season of need.
Holiday Safety Tips
The holidays are some of the best times for creating memories with your family. Our top holiday safety tip is to take a photo of your children before taking them to crowded attractions like malls, tree lightings, or other holiday attractions. If you get separated in a crowd, you have an accurate recent photo to share with people.
In preparation for the festivities, be sure to charge your POM device and program it so you can safely enjoy your holiday. Here are some great tips:
- Set Up An Automatic Phone Call: Set the phone number of a friend or service to easily call for a ride home if you’re out late and have been drinking.
- Set Up An Automatic Text Message: Set multiple phone numbers to automatically text friends and loved ones to share where you are
- Set Up A Fake Phone Call: Set up a fake phone call so you can excuse yourself from any uncomfortable situations
Our Favorite Mocktail Drink
Festive, fun, and healthy for your gut? Sign us up for this sparkling cranberry kombucha mocktail! This quick, but balanced mocktail is cranberry forward, mixed with kombucha, fresh ginger for a bit of subtle spice, and topped with a sprig of rosemary for a fresh, herby finish. Kombucha not your thing? Swap in ginger beer (non-alcoholic) or ginger ale.
For this mocktail, all you need is 10 minutes and the following ingredients:
- 2 bottles of kombucha of choice
- ½ cup 100% cranberry juice
- 1-inch slice of fresh ginger, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 large sprig of fresh rosemary, plus more for garnish
- Fresh cranberries, rosemary sprigs, and thinly sliced ginger for garnish
Our Favorite Adult Beverage
There’s nothing like a warm, festive drink to welcome you home after a chilly day outside or to top off a night of festivities. This vanilla chai tea White Russian combines all the holiday flavors to warm your soul after a hearty meal or a wintery shopping spree.
For this adult beverage, all you need is 10 minutes and the following ingredients:
- 4 chai tea bags
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vodka
- 3 tablespoons kahlua
- 2-4 tablespoons chai tea syrup
- 2-4 tablespoons heavy cream (substitute oat milk for dairy free)
- Cinnamon sticks and star anise, for garnish